Mmmmmmmm…. Truffled mac’n’cheese.
Can you think of a more comforting comfort food? I can’t…
Actually… hang on… maybe if you TOOK that cheesy mac’n’cheese and sandwiched it between 2 slices of buttered fresh white bread and made a MAC’N’CHEESE TOASTIE out of it?!?! Or what about a mac’n’cheese pizza (spread it over a Mission wrap and pop it under the griller)? Or deep fried mac’n’cheese balls?????? Oh. Em. Gee.
Ok. I’ll stop. But seriously. Who doesn’t love mac’n’cheese?
This recipe is one I make with my pressure cooker (aka “mother’s best friend/secret weapon appliance”) – literally you throw everything in the pot (and give it a little stir to mix), LOCK the lid, set it for 7-10 min (no not kidding), and WALK. AWAY. You can make it without the vegies – but ever the “Dr Mum,” I take every opportunity to hide as many vegetables into my kids favourite foods as I can. It even comes out with the lovely browned crusty bit on the bottom of the pressure cooker pot.
This is the ultimate “dish of deception” (**insert evil grin and rubbing hands together** “Bwaa ha ha ha ha haaar!!”)
My kids INHALE this meal. Even as leftovers. Adults love it too. Obviously it was a favourite before we started the dairy-free trial we are doing for Gwennie’s eczema, but just coz we can’t have it now… doesn’t mean that YOUR FAMILY can’t!
If you try this, you will not regret it. Cheesiest mac’n’cheese ever (and it’s truffled) – who could ask for more?
- 2 cups of uncooked (elbow) macaroni
- 1.5 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1.5 cups tasty cheese
- 250g tub of (lactose free if you wish) cream cheese
- 3 tbs butter
- 250mL of light (lactose free) cream (OR, alternatively you can use half a cup of (light LF) cream and half a cup of (light LF) sour cream
- 0.5 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp whole seeded French mustard (my preference, but you can use Dijon or whatever you want)
- 200g pan fried bacon pieces (can use pre-diced or chopped streaky bacon)
- 1 cup of (light LF) milk or chicken stock
- 1 tsp of truffle oil (optional but strongly recommended!)
Additional (optional – but trust me, your kids will have NO IDEA how much veg is in this dish!)
- half head of cauliflower – chopped
- a medium sized wedge of Kent pumpkin – chopped
- 1 small-medium sized zucchini grated
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- Put all “Ingredients” into pressure cooker (give it a quick stir if you want) and LOCK lid
- Cook for 7-10 min under pressure (7 min for firmer pasta, 10 min for slightly softer)
Optional hidden veggie steps:
- Boil cauliflower, pumpkin and carrot until soft (15-20 min), drain off water
- Puree in food processor
- Stir through pasta AFTER cooked in pressure cooker (see gallery)
Now if you are a SERIOUS foodie, you HAVE to give this a try. Sooooo… gooooooood…. (droooool)
See you in 2 weeks everyone! I’m off on annual leave but will be back with renewed vigour with some SOOOOOOOOPER DOOPER exciting new ideas and topics coming right up!
In the meantime – what are you WAITING FOR?!?!? This recipe literally takes less than 15 min to whip up! GO GO GO!!
AND you can freeze the leftovers!!
Catch you soon!